Skateboarding is a fun sport and it brings a lot of thrill along as you cruise through the streets or perform those tricks in the skatepark. What’s even better is that you can even create your own miniature skatepark simply by creating a few core elements and obstacles. One of these could be a skateboard rail that might allow you to perfect your slides and grinds as you practice your favorite maneuvers. Fortunately, making your own simple grind rail isn’t really rocket science. Wondering how to make skateboard rail?
Ideally, you should be making a structure that’s sturdy, solid, long, and portable. You may be able to find different DIY rail models online and you can either choose to make your own custom street grind rail or go for something similar to what you get in the skateparks. For making the best skateboard rail, you must find a pipe that grinds perfectly as well as a solid structure to offer support for all the weight that you’ll apply on it as you slide over with your best skateboard under your feet.
Materials and Tools Required
It’s not hard to make skateboard rails, and it is not too expensive either. Everything that you need for building a quality skateboard rail could be bought from a local hardware store only for around $25-$50.
You can make this structure using steel and wood, PVC and steel, or a combination of all these materials. For example, a skateboard rail structure could be built with zinc-coated, durable steel. You can keep the height options at a point that it won’t need any tools for adjustments. Make something that’s maintenance-free. After that, a square and flat rail could be added on top of that structure.
Let’s have a look at all the tools and materials that you’d need for making an affordable, signature skateboard rail without any need for welding materials:
- A 6 ft 5 in Pine base plank (width 6 inch, thickness 1.5 inches)
- A 6 ft 5 in Pine top plank (width 6 inch, thickness 1.2 inches)
- Two 6 ft 5 in Plywood planks with a 0.5-inch thickness
- A 6 ft 5 in Steel tube, flat bar, or pipe
How To Make Skateboard Rail?
Once you have all the necessary materials and tools, follow these step-by-step instructions to build your custom skateboard rail.
- Measure the rail length and mark it on the plywood and pine planks as well as the flat or pipe bar (6 ft 5 inches, for example).
- Now, cut the steel and wooden pieces to your desired length.
- Drill five evenly-spaced holes and use these for screwing the middle and the top planks perpendicularly together to form a T shape.
- The T-shaped structure should now be screwed onto the pine base plank.
- Measure the structure diagonally from the ground up all the way to the top.
- Mark this measurement on the plywood boards and cut them.
- Screw these boards against the sides of your rail structure.
- Apply silicone before placing the flat bar or pipe.
- Drill five evenly-spaced holes and keep them larger in size compared to the head of the screws you have used on the flat bar or the pipe.
- Drill flat bar’s bottom using a smaller-sized drill.
- Screw down your skateboard rail.
So, that’s how to make skateboard rail! If you want to achieve a long-lasting rail surface for grinding that offers you the freedom to perform just about any tricks you like, make sure that your base structure is heavier and wider. It will help add some stability to your skateboard grinding rail. To make it even better, consider adding some non-slip pads for preventing any kind of movement. When you choose a rounded rail, go for a zinc alloy tube to ensure the best impact strength as well as corrosion resistance. Your goal is to come up with a structure that is sturdy enough to last the wear it receives from the heavy riders and skaters. Also, ensure that the screws don’t block your skateboard’s progression as it slides over the rail. Try your luck with this DIY project today and buy yourself the best skateboard for beginners to start playing different tricks!